Biztown Curriculum Overview:
• Discuss the roles they play as citizens, workers, and consumers in their community and relate those roles to the free enterprise system.
• Discuss the importance of citizen rights and responsibilities in a community.
• Demonstrate a basic understanding of the free enterprise system.
• Build money management skills through a practical knowledge of economic concepts and banking practices.
• Develop an understanding of basic business practices and responsibilities.
• Display the soft skills necessary for successful participation in the world of work.
As the 1800s progressed, the North and the South continued to develop differently. In many ways, the two regions were like separate worlds. The North based its economy largely on industry. The South, meanwhile, developed an agricultural system that relied primarily on cotton. The industry of the North depended on paid workers. These workers struggled to make a living and endured hard working conditions. Still, they were free. In contrast, cotton production in the South depended on the labor of enslaved African Americans. These enslaved people had no rights or freedoms.